1. The main reason for the population growth isn′t so much a rise inbirth rates( ) a fall in death rates as a result of improvements in medical care.
2. -May I put my luggage on the seat beside you， sir?-( ) .
A.Sure， with pleasure
B.Oh， please yourself
C.Well， never mind
D.Yes， help yourself
3. ( ) catching the fever himself the man kindly carried the sick childhome.
A.A head of
B.At the sight
C.At the risk of
D.By way of
3. Preparations are being made for the important meeting ( ) soon.
C.to be held
4. Although John was the eldest in the family， he always let his sister( )charge of the house.
答案解析：take. take charge of (=to be or become responsible for sb. or sth.) 負責、掌管、看管; He took charge of the department (or the children) .
5. Tony lent me the money， ( )that I ′ d do asmuch for him .
6. Had she been older， she( ) less sympathetic.
C.might have been
7. They really have a great time too， designing everything， drawingthe blue prints，( )the angles and so on.
8. According to the rules of the factory， you mustn′t ask for leave ( )you have adoctor′s note.
9. Suddenly， a tall man driving a golden carriage ( ) the girl and tookher away，into the woods.
10. Her excellent performance made a deep ( ) on the audience.
11. That contract， about ( ) we had a disagreement last month， had now gone through.
11). Road conditions in this area had gone from bad to worse.Accidentshad taken place( ) before the strict measures were taken
A.by the way
B.in a row
C.in the way
12). -Could you tell Lucy about the meeting when you see her?-Sure， I will ( )I see her.
13). 1n ( ) review of 44 studies， American researchers found that men andWomen who ate six key foods daily cut the risk of( )heart disease by 76%.
14). This village appears ( ) to mine， but I′m not ( ) with it at all.
15). Had she been older， she( ) less sympathetic.
C.might have been
16). Although she did not know Boston well， she made her way ( ) to theHomeCircle Building.
17). Not once since my son went to high school ( ) traveling with him.
A.had I gone
B.have I gone
C.I have gone
D.′I had gone
18). “Was that man the dean who walked by?”“( ) .”
A.It must be that
B.It must have been
C.He must be it
D.Must have been it
19). Sports and games can be ( ) great help to us.